Saturday, September 12, 2009

#3

“I wonder as I wonder
Where exactly you are from me
Across the water.
Could ya, would ya, find me?
A lovin, by my lonesome?

I’ll be your Bonnie floatin over the ocean,
You’ll be my sailor, upon the sea.
I’ll be your Bonnie floatin over the ocean baby,
And maybe baby, I’ll see.

I will see how far this old
Rig can take me,
Life boat will take me, away
I will see how far this old
Rig can take me,
Life will take me, out to sea
Out to see you…”




I had asked the boys about him, Maxime Fabert. They informed me that he was a hockey player from Quebec, who still played in Montreal.
He had looked too old to play for fun, so I assumed it was professional, and even though I didn’t know any players; I have lived in Quebec my whole life - so I know who the Habs were. This was my conclusion; Maxime was still in Quebec. Once he got back from Miami; I was determined to go see a game, regardless of the out come.

I knew I was being foolish; if he was a pro hockey player, he probably hadn’t given me a second thought, but… I couldn’t stop thinking about him. I had to see him again.
I had confided this to Monique, my drummer, and only female friend. She was a true-red, proud French Canadian and was all for helping me meeting the boy; but she was also traitor when it came to hockey - opting to cheer for Pittsburgh, instead of the Habs.
Which is why she was so excited when a management problem ended up giving us a week off; and double booking us for the next - and David suggested a trip south, to the ‘Burgh‘.

It had been almost a month now since I had seen Maxime at the airport; and my band thought I needed to go out, take my mind off of trying to get a record deal and have a good time.
I had been stressing myself out to the extreme; our tour was half over and although we had made good progress, we didn’t feel any closer to reaching our dreams.

David’s down south trip involved flying to Pittsburgh to visit his brother and sister-in-law; giving Monique a chance to visit the ‘Igloo’ and all of us a chance to relax.
We left that night.


The trip was fun; fun and uneventful. Monique dragged Jean-Pierre and I to Mellon Arena, while David visited with his brother.
We milled around and took pictures; even stopping in to watch the Pittsburgh team practice in their plain black and white jerseys.
Looking out over the ice, I couldn’t help but smile. In the middle of the rink was a picture of a giant penguin. I thought of Maxime; back to the day I saw him, and the hat he was wearing. Apparently Moni wasn’t the only Habs traitor.


“So where to tonight? Last night in Pittsburgh guys!” David called across the hotel room as Moni and I got dressed in the bathroom.

“Diesel, Diesel, Diesel!!” She squealed as she started jumping like an idiot. She had been talking about that club since we got here - the known ’Penguin’ hang out.

I sighed and shook my head, “I’m not letting you leave without us… I don’t care if he’s a hockey player or not!” I informed her with authority.

It was her turn to sigh as she glared at me in the bathroom’s mirror. “Well, I’ll remember that when you find Mr. Maxime back in Montreal!” I blushed at the thought, causing her to laugh loudly.


We got to the club early, very early; so we got in without a wait.
Moni and I started in on the Tequila shots before the crowd started arriving, while David and Jean-Pierre chatted up the DJ.

By the time midnight rolled around I was busting my best MJ moves on the dance floor while David acted as the designated ‘holder-upper-of-drunk-girl’; his hands tightly wrapped around my arm.
I finally felt the need to pee over-come every other sense that I had; causing me to stumble by myself towards the ladies room. I was trying to walk as soberly as “Woah, babe, you ok?” someone said as they grabbed me by the waist and steadying me.


“Yah, I mean… I think so…” I laughed, as I leaned into him, allowing him to hold me up. “it’s been a while since I drank this much, you know?” I asked as I looked around him, still seeking the bathroom.

“Of course, what’s your name? You sound French.”

“I am! I’m from Quebec… my name’s Juliette.” I said, turning to hold out my hand. He laughed and shook it with the hand that wasn’t still holding me up.

“Jordan.” He said, smiling at me. “Jordan Staal.” I nodded like a bobble head, bathroom, bathroom, bathroom… I chanted in my head, trying to find a way to get around him.
Sure he’s nice but, sometimes a girl’s gotta go…

I felt someone bump into me and turned to see Moni, staring at the boy beside me. I used her presence as a way to escape, propelling myself through the bathroom door before I fell over.


When I came back out, Moni was posing for Jordan; who was holding a camera. “Oh! Julie, come here and take a picture with me!” I laughed and fell into Moni’s arms, grinning as Jordan captured the image. “He’s having a competition to see who get the most pictures of hot girls.” She informed me as we leaned against each other for support. He grinned and nodded at her statement.

“So you winning?” I asked, realizing for the first time just how drunk I sounded.

“I will with these!” He smirked, eyeing Moni up. I recognized that look.

“Well, we gotta go!” I shrilled waving goodbye as I pulled Moni behind me; searching through the crowd for David and Jean-Pierre.


We found them a few minutes later and headed outside for a cab. “Juliette!” I heard someone scream as I pilled in after Moni.

“What?” I asked as I laid my head back against the street.

“What, what?” She countered, looking at me.

“Didn’t you just yell my name?”

She started to giggle. “No! Wow, you’re drunker than I am!” She concluded happily. I shook my head and laughed as the cab took off for the hotel.



Max’s POV

I hadn’t been out since we’d gotten back to Pittsburgh; and the boys were not taking ‘no’ as an answer tonight.
I finally gave in, allowing Staalsy to drag me to the Diesel; wondering if there was anyway I could get out of this… Ugh! Listen to yourself Maxime… what’s happened to you? This wasn’t me, not at all. I was the party boy.
I was the guy that was up for anything, surrounded by beautiful women and always having a good time.
Now I was a party-pooper; I was worse than Crosby. I hardly went out and when I did I was always the first to leave for home. It was because of her, I knew without a doubt. The girl from the airport; the girl who’s name I didn’t even know.

I sighed as we pulled in to the crowded parking lot. I followed the boys through the doors and up to VIP; telling myself that I would leave as soon as it was acceptable.
I sat beside Crosby and watched as Jordan and Geno made fools of themselves. “No! Women love Russia men… what is Canada?” He smirked as Jordan sighed theatrically.

“No way man! Canadian guys are the best… women love us way more!”

Geno laughed and pulled his phone out of his pocket, “I take picture of hot girls… more than you…” He bragged, standing up.

“Ha! You’re on Geno… I can get ten times the girl to pose for pics than you can.”

I watched as they shook hands and dashed out towards the masses. “This should be interesting.” Crosby sighed as he watched Geno approach two blonds. I nodded and looked away… just a little longer… I bribed myself.


“Alright Geno, how many did you get?” Jordan asked as he started flipping through his picture. Geno started looking through his phone; counting.

“38!” Geno chuckled after he was done.

“HA! 49... Loser… and check these two out! Not only are they both red-heads they’re both French-Canada… hello!” He laughed, tossing his camera to Geno, who examined it before nodding appreciatively.

Geno tossed the camera to Sidney and I, motioning for us to look. I glanced down without interest and then looked away, grabbing for my beer.

“HOLY SHIT!” I yelled, spitting the beer out. I grabbed the camera back and held it an inch away from my face. “It’s her… Sid… it’s her… oh my god it’s her!” I jumped off the couch and ran towards Vero and Flower. “It’s her… look, look!” I jumped over the back of the couch, almost crushing Vero. I shoved the phone into her face and she squinted, trying to see the picture.

“Oh! The girl from the airport…” She said, finally recognizing her. I nodded and looked back down at the picture.

“Wait, which one? Monique or Juliette?” Jordan asked, leaning over the couch. I pointed to the one on the right. “Juliette.” He nodded, “so… that’s the one you met in Canada at the airport?”

I nodded. “Juliette…” I said softly to myself. She was here, somewhere in this bar… right now. I jumped up again and ran to the VIP railing. “She’s here guys… we need to find her. Help me find her!” I yelled over my shoulder before rushing down into the crowd.

The guys helped me go through everyone, but she wasn’t here. As a last stitch attempt I ran out of the bar and onto the sidewalk. I looked around before I saw her, Juliette. I started running towards her as she followed her friend into a cab. “Juliette!” I yelled before the door closed.

The cab took off a second before I reached it, leaving me standing on the sidewalk. I let out a groan. She got away again… I shook my head as I watched the cab disappear.
I turned around and headed back into Diesel, disappointed but hopefully. Sure she had gotten away this time but, I had her picture and name now. I'll find her again... I vowed as I headed back up to the guys.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh! I was hoping at the very end that Max would get there JUST IN TIME to stop Juliette from driving away! I'm so happy that at least Max knows more about Jules, but poor Jules thinks that Max is a Hab! They need a little more help to be pushed together... push them, Zigh! Aha, looved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHH! Darn it! Poor Max... Poor Julliet. They really need to get together.

    Awesome chapter Zigh.

    ReplyDelete